Technology Curriculum for Grades K - 8
The purpose of the computer program is that each student is able to comfortably use a computer. Computer skills will be introduced in the primary grades and mastered as students advance to the middle school level. Through this exposure, students will gain a positive view of computers as tools for learning.
Introduction of Concepts and Skills
Grades K – 2 will:
- follow classroom rules for responsible use of computers.
- develop an understanding that each student must work cooperatively with each other and their teacher.
- use correct terminology for basic components of a computer system: e.g., monitor, keyboard, disk, CD, printer, and mouse.
- develop basic skills for using hardware and applications such as: open/close a program, navigate using scroll bars, arrow keys, and mouse.)
- develop keyboarding skills with the use of software.
- develop skills in word processing using teacher templates.
- print documents/projects.
- explore the use of drawing & painting applications for class projects.
Developing the Use of Acquired Concepts and Skills
Grades 3 – 4 will:
- be able to follow classroom rules for responsible use of computers.
- develop an understanding that the computer is a tool for learning.
- learn the need to respect the work of their peers.
- use correct terminology for basic components of a computer system: e.g., monitor, keyboard, disk, CD, printer, mouse, hard drive, and window.
- develop good keyboarding skills with emphases on correct finger placement.
- identify the menu bar.
- develop word processing formatting skills.
- use spell check with teacher direction.
- insert images (clip art) into word processing documents.
- save a document to a folder created in the student’s name.
- print documents/projects.
- develop an understanding of the school’s rules for safe and ethical Internet use.
- do an Internet Search from a teacher-selected Web site.
- learn how to create a presentation program.
Understanding and Mastering Concepts and Skills
Grades 5 – 8 will:
- demonstrate an understanding of classroom rules regarding responsible use of computers, responsible behavior around equipment, respect for other people’s work, and appropriate collaborative behavior.
- build keyboarding skills from the intermediate level to advanced level emphasizing correct finger placement.
- develop word processing skills to facilitate the writing process.
- develop advanced formatting skills.
- insert images from clip art, CD’s and the internet to an application.
- use spell check and editing skills.
- develop the use of the thesaurus to enhance their writing skills.
- follow print instructions for printing various documents, such as word processing or spread sheets.
- follow directions to create a presentation by using PowerPoint software inserting graphics, sound, and transitions.
- be introduced to multiple uses of a spreadsheet.
- use software to support math and language arts.
- be introduced to the use of the scanner for projects and a grade 8 video project.
- describe and demonstrate knowledge of the schools’ Acceptable Use Policy, and know the consequences of violating that policy.
- understand and demonstrate ethical behavior in copying files from the internet, by properly identifying the source of the information in a bibliography (MLA citation).
- required to do a research project in conjunction with the library program and present the work on a PowerPoint Presentation to the class.